Between the cost of prom tickets, a dress, and a limo, going to prom can get very expensive. However, with a little ingenuity and foresight, you can save a lot of money. Here are four tips for an inexpensive prom night to remember:
1. Check the sale rack
- If you plan ahead, you may be able to score a designer dress for a heavily discounted price. Start looking for your dress the year before you're planning to attend your prom. After prom season has ended, many gowns go on sale.
- Don't be afraid to look for dresses in thrift stores. With some patience and luck, you might just find the dress of your dreams hiding there. If you find a dress that you really love that doesn't fit quite right, you can take it to a seamstress to have it altered, for less than the cost of buying a new dress of the rack at your local department store.
2. Do your own makeup
- Instead of visiting a salon to get your makeup done, try a little DIY. By doing your own makeup, you'll have complete creative freedom over what you'll look like on your big day. Play around with bold red lips or sultry smokey eye makeup. The choice is yours!
- If you're unsure how to do your prom makeup, check online for tips and tutorials. There are many videos that give step-by-step instructions on doing wedding or prom makeup, and these videos can give you some fun ideas.
3. Share a limo
- Pretend you're royalty for the evening and arrive in style! A limousine can make you feel like a movie star, but you don't have to have an A-lister's budget.
- If each person chips in and shares the cost, renting a limo can be a surprisingly affordable experience. Traveling with your friends can be more fun than going solo with your date. You'll be making memories together en route to prom, while still saving money.
4. Skip the florist
- Skipping the florist doesn't have to mean skipping the flowers. Depending on where you live, you may be able to score some free flowers from your family or friends' gardens for your corsage or your date's boutonniere.
- If that's not an option, get creative! You can create stunning paper flowers using a bit of colored tissue paper and ribbon, according to Party City. fold the tissue paper into strips, then tie off the end with a ribbon. Next, trim the top, then unfold and fluff your flower creation. Now you have pretty faux flowers to match your dress.
Prom is a special event in the lives of young people, and it doesn't have to be expensive in order to be memorable. These cost-saving tips can help you have the prom of your dreams without breaking the bank.